Stop Using the Bible to Defend Killing Innocent Animals

Don't Use the Bible to Defend Killing Innocent Animals


I'm vegetarian. It's not something I spend much time arguing about or defending, but there you go. I get why people eat meat. You know, people tell me: "It's good for you" or "It's delicious."

Those aren't really convincing for me, but I understand what they're getting at. Hunting animals for sport, though? I don't get that one at all. You're not catching a meal. You don't need to do this for survival.

You're not controlling the animal population. You are just killing for the sake of killing. Like, how twisted does your mind have to be to find that fun? I don't get it. I don't think I will ever get it.

Now, while much of the recent media attention has been on Dr. Walter Palmer -- the dentist who paid money to go kill Cecil the lion -- it's rapidly shifting to Sabrina Corgatelli, an Idaho hunter who gleefully took to social media to show off her latest kills.

One of those animals was a giraffe. Now, why another creature has to die just so she can take a selfie? That's beyond me. After posting a picture of another one of her "prizes", Corgatelli went to Facebook and took a page right out of the Ken Ham playbook.

She decided to cite the book of Genesis to defend or explain her actions. She cited Genesis 9:3 where God tells Noah: "Every moving thing that lives shall be food for you.

And as I gave you the green plants, I give you everything." She also quoted Genesis 27:3, "Now then, take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out into the field and hunt game for me."

Quoting the Bible, of course, is hardly a defense of anything. I mean, I can do it, too. Watch this: Romans 14:21, says: "It is better not to eat meat, or drink wine, or to do anything that will cause your brother or sister to fail."

Checkmate, Christians! More importantly, though, it's not like the two verses she cited on Facebook even made any sense. It's not like she ate the giraffe after she killed it.

And she sure as hell didn't hunt down with a bow and arrow. Just because she can cherry-pick a couple of Bible verses, doesn't justify her actions.

I mean, if anything, we can just turn this right back on her and say that she killed some of God's creatures. What's even more appalling is that she said in an interview that she was not a cold-blooded killer, adding that "just because we hunt them, doesn't mean we don't have a respect for them."

That is quite a thing to say to something after you've shot it dead, that you have a lot of respect for it. "I killed you because I love you." The Crocodile Hunter respected animals.

Jack Hannah respects animals. You're just an asshole with a gun. Corgatelli also said, "Giraffes are very dangerous animals. They could hurt you seriously, very quickly."

The only way that makes sense is if an evil giraffe was about to attack her out of nowhere, which it wasn't. It's not like the giraffe was about to come to Idaho to destroy her.

You know how I know that? Because no one comes to Idaho for anything! She went to Africa, found the giraffe, shot it dead, and then had the audacity to say, "It might have hurt me." If only there were a Bible verse telling us to treat others the way we wanted them to treat us...



Originally published by Hemant Mehta on the Atheist Voice. Published on Fadewblogs by Dave Martin.

Disclaimer: This article is published on Fadewblogs with the permission of the author.

Support Hemant Mehta:

Post a Comment

Comments will go through moderation before appearing, and are subject to our community guidelines, which can be viewed here

Previous Article Next Article

Adsttera

DMCA.com Protection Status